Monday, August 9, 2010

Big Bend

Left hand turn off the interstate. 123 miles to Big Bend and what can I see? Nothing! Just flat flat ranch land. Viva la Texas! A short 97 miles later we saw our first mountain! Paul and I were ecstatic! It was like I was 13 all over again and had just seen my first boob thanks to National Geographic's Africa issue. Just like that first boob, this was nothing to write home about. But we still stared and stared and stared and stared... anyways. We didn't have to get so excited. There was much more in stock. As seen from the picture below that is a view from our campground!


While walking around the campsite we met Richard and his sons who have been coming to Big Bend for 15 years. We asked him if he only had a day in Big Bend where would he hike. He told us first to hike the Lost Mine Trail then in the afternoon to hike The Window. But he warned us that we should leave for the first trail by 7 am to avoid the hot weather. We told him it wouldn't be a problem. We were jacked, ready to attack, and soon to be in the sack.... So 8:30 am rolled around and Paul and I were just about done with breakfast and ready to roll out. If you don't know, Paul is one of my best friends since the 3rd grade. That was when we invented the cricket trap. It was brilliant! Technical scale drawing below.

Paul had since moved to San Francisco to get a job and had started embracing his inner hippie. But I still loved him!

We set out on the trail and it was beautiful! It was well worth the hike. The strange part is that I had Paul in every one of my pictures. So I finally asked him to take a picture of me. Look how good it turned out!

Dick! He decided it looked better with a tree in front of me!

So we reached the summit and who did we run into? Richard! We sat down and proceeded into each other's life stories. Now as I mentioned Paul has embraced Peace, Love, and Sex since moving to San Francisco. If you don't already know , here is the weirdest thing he has embraced: it's called Orgasmic Meditation.

We are now into life philosophies and Richard, who is closer to 60 than 50 by the way, is pretty into meditation. Paul's eyes just lit up! He jumps into his thoughts saying "Well there is sitting meditation, moving meditation and floating meditation. We perform floating meditation where we..." Oh no, please don't. Not here, not now... "Stroke Genitals." For a second you could literally only hear crickets chirping. No I'm serious, we were in nature, crickets were actually chirping...

Richard handled it like a pro responding "Well... that sure is something. You know I used to have sex with a lot of beautiful women till I realized they are all terrible in bed. So now I sleep with women who are comfortable." Richard! There is a little bit of Dick in you after all! If you are more of a visual person, below is a thought bubble rendition of the talk. Conversation is approximated...


All in all Big Bend is a beautiful place. It should be on everyone's list of National Parks to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment